Zithromax (Azithromycin) – Medical Facts You Should Know About This Antibiotic
Azithromycin belongs to a family of macrolide antibiotic. It is an azalide.
While Azithromycin is its generic name, you will find it marketed under brand names such as Zithromax, Azithrocin, Zmax, Azin and Zedd.
Azithromycin was discovered by a group of scientists – Gorjana Radobolja-Lazarevski, Gabrijela Kobrehel, Dr. Slobodan Dokic and Zrinka Tamburaser, in the year 1980. It was marketed by a pharmaceutical company named Pfizer. It got its approval by FDA somewhere around 1996.
It is used to treat bacterial infections such as pneumonia, bronchitis, sinusitis and middle ear infections.
How should I use Zithromax?
Use Zithromax strictly as per your doctor’s advice and/ or the directions on the label.
The medication dosage depends on your condition and how well you respond to the treatment. Take the tablet once in a day, orally with a glass of water. It can be taken with or without food.
Ensure that you take the medicine at the same time of the day, every day. This will result in even level of drug in the blood. Also, the antibiotic course should be completed and not abandoned in the middle. There can be situations where in the symptoms have improved but the infection is not completely cured.
Store the drug at room temperature. Light and moisture can affect the medicine so keep it away from them.
What Precautions should I take when using Zithromax?
• Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any other antibiotics. These antibiotics contain many inactive ingredients in smaller quantities and they can induce allergic reactions in the body.
• People with liver and/or kidney diseases must not use Zithromax.
• Consult your doctor prior medication if you have heart problems.
• Avoid consumption of alcohol at least for 12 hours from the intake of the medicine. Zithromax and alcohol can interfere with each other and cause severe side effects.
• Pregnant women should take this medication only under doctor’s supervision.
• It can pass into the breast milk and thus may prove harmful to the babies. Hence consulting your doctor before breastfeeding is mandatory.
What Are The Top Benefits Offered By Zithromax?
• Zithromax is found to destroy more bacteria as compared to other macrolides medications.
• It is also said to cause lesser side effects.
• It remains present in the blood for longer time. This is one of the most important advantages of Zithromax over other antibiotics.
• Now-a-days, it is also used – with great results - in the treatment of infections that are transmitted sexually like chlamydia, cervicitis and nongonococcal urethritis.
• It is treats some bacterial skin infection