Premarin- Medical Facts You Should Know About This HRT Drug
What is Premarin?
Women experiencing severe symptoms of menopause are given Premarin. It works like hormone therapy in women. It is composed of variety of estrogens. Estrogen is a sex hormone found in females. It is produced by ovaries for various functions of the body. Premarin is the name of brand which sells conjugated estrogen.
The drug got approval from FDA in 1942.Wyeth Pharms INC is a popular brand selling the drug. However there are many more brands selling the drug.
How To Use Premarin?
You should follow the instructions of your doctor to take Premarin. Do not continue the medication for longer than it is instructed. Depending on the medication, it might be prescribed on a daily basis. You should use it regularly to see drastic improvement.
You should regularly go for blood tests while using the drug. This will help you to monitor improvement. You should never double dose to make up for the missed dose.
You can also use Premarin cream to treat medical conditions related to vagina. You can apply with the help of the applicator directly on the vaginal tissue. It is necessary to wash hands before and after application.
Any Special Precautions/ Contraindications
Certain things need to be kept in mind before starting a medication of Premarin. They are:
• People with heart disease should not use the drug.
• People with liver disease should also avoid the drug.
• It is advisable to club progestins with the drug. Only if your uterus is not been removed.
• Inform your doctor about your smoking habits before starting the drug.
• Pregnant women should not take Premarin.
• It is advisable to use birth control while under medication of the drug.
• Nursing mothers should not use the drug.
• Girls below 18 years of age should not take the medicine without consulting medical professional.
• It should not be used to treat heart disease.
5 Top Benefits Of This Premarin
Premarin is composed of estrogens derived from natural sources. The drug is used to treat various symptoms of menopause in women. The drug is also used to treat any kind of burning and irritation in the vagina. You can use either cream or tablet depending on your medical condition. The benefits of the drug include:
• It treats vaginal dryness and hot flashes in women.
• In postmenopausal women, it is used to treat osteoporosis.
• It treats estrogen imbalances in women especially in cases when there is ovarian failure.
• In some cases doctor use the drug to treat cancer in both men and women.
• It is also used to treat symptoms of low bone density in women.