Flagyl (Metronidazole) – Medical Facts You Should Know About This Antibiotic.
Metronidazole belongs to a family of antibiotics called nitroimidazoles. It is used to treat bacterial infections caused in vagina, intestine and abdomen in human. It was developed in the year 1960 and marketed by a pharmaceutical company named Pfizer.
It is famous by various brand names such as Flagyl IV, Metro and Flagyl ER all over the world. It stops the growth of bacteria and kills it, thus heals the infection.
How To Use Flagyl?
Dosage amount varies from person to person. Flagyl is available in two forms: tablets and capsules. It can be taken with or without food. Usually one tablet is administered per day. It has to be taken orally with a glass of water or milk. Take it at the same time of the day, every day. This ensures even drug level in the blood.
For the treatment of vaginal infections, vaginal creams and gels are available in the market. The cream/gel has to be applied into the vagina twice a day. Follow your doctor’s instructions for the same. Do not take extra doses if you miss one.
Also see to it that you complete the entire course and do not leave it incomplete. There can be situations where in the symptoms have improved but the infection is not completely cured.
Always store Flagyl at temperatures below 25 degrees C. Ensure that it is kept away from moisture and sunlight in an air tight container.
What Precautions should be taken while using Flagyl?
• Allergic reactions can be caused with the inactive ingredients like cellulose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, stearic acid, hypermellose and many more that are present in Flagyl. Inform your doctor if you develop allergies with those ingredients.
• Inform your doctor if you are on some other antibacterial medications. Flagylcan interfere with those and cause harmful side effects.
• People with liver problems and blood disorders must consult doctor before taking the medication.
• Alcohol must be avoided as it can cause adverse effects like headache, vomiting, cramps in stomach and many more.
• Pregnant women must consult doctor before taking the medication as it could harm the unborn child.
• Breast-feeding should also be done with doctor’s permission. Flagyl may pass into the breast milk and harm the baby.
What Are The Top Benefits Of Using Flagyl?
• Flagyl can be used in combination with other drugs in the treatment of stomach ulcers.
• It can also be used for the treatment of infections caused during surgeries.
• It is an FDA approved drug, which spells it out that it is safe to take and produced under carefully controlled environments.
• It is easily available more online than offline.
• It is quite economical.