Amoxil (Amoxicillin) – Medical Facts You Should Know About This Drug
What Is Amoxicillin?
Amoxicillin is an antibiotic often recommended as the first line of treatment for several common bacterial infections such as ear infections and sinusitis. This is a child friendly medicine. This medication hinders the production of bacterias, so that they cannot grow and cannot stick together. This, in turn, stops the infection from spreading allowing recovery.
Amoxicillin comes from the group of penicillin family. It is also used to treat more serious infections such as urinary tract infections, skin infections and uncomplicated gonorrhea. This drug was developed by Howard Florey, Earnest Chain and Alexander Fleming. FDA approved this drug in December 1974.
How To Use The Drug?
The dosage of this drug is determined according to the medical history and condition of the patient as well as the degree of infection. Generally, the recommended dose of Amoxicillin for adults will range between 500 mg and 875 mg, depending on the severity of disease.
For children the recommended dose ranges from 24mg to 45mg per kg per day in divided doses.
Amoxicillin can be taken with food or without food. This drug is available in the form of chewable tablets, powdered tablets and suspension form.
Precaution And Contraindications
• If you have ever had an allergic reaction (such as a rash), when taking an antibiotic you should tell your doctor before you take Amoxicillin.
• Amoxicillin will interfere with the results of various tests; hence, you need to inform your physician about this medication if you are undergoing any tests.
• You should also inform your doctor if you have a history of kidney or liver diseases. In such cases, you may require to test the liver and kidney function as well as your blood.
• This drug needs to be taken with caution during pregnancy and/ or breastfeeding. Inform your physician if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
• Do not stop the course midway; ensure that it is completed as the physician prescribed. Interrupting the course would make the bacteria resistant to the drug.
5 Top Benefits of Amoxicillin:
• This is very effective in a wide array of bacterial infections including bladder, urinary tract, teeth and respiratory system.
• Amoxicillin is safe for the use in children.
• It is inexpensive and easily available, which is a great added benefit.
• This is an FDA approved drug you are assured about its safety and efficiency.
• The drug causes minimal if any side effects when used as prescribed by the physician.